Saturday, October 13, 2007

Global Warming

Few items are more hyped by politicians and the news media than so-called global warming.

I doubt if most of the "hypers" know even the scientific basics about climate change.

I laugh when I see tables and charts purporting to show average temperatures over millions of years. While it is within the scope of modern science to estimate average temperatures going back that far, I question the precision of the temperatures in those data bases (unless the cavemen had very accurate thermometers around the world, and recorded those temperatures).

I am in favor of cleaning up the environment. I also favor switching from fossil fuels to nuclear power.

I just wish "global warming" was not hyped as a crisis, since our scientific understanding of climate is in its infancy. Scientists should not put forward as science ideas which are mainly political.

No comments: